Savory French Toast Casserole
This savory french toast casserole can serve up to eight people with cheap ingredients and quick instructions.
Savory French Toast Casserole Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
6 (1.5-oz) slices whole wheat bread
1 lb sliced mushrooms
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 egg whites
1 cup fat-free milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
Savory French Toast Casserole Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Line the 6 bread slices in the bottom of the pan (cutting the bread in half if needed to make it fit), slightly overlapped in one layer. Set aside.
- Add cooking spray to a nonstick sauté pan. Sauté the mushrooms for 7 minutes, or until liquid is reduced and mushrooms are starting to caramelize.
- Add the onion and thyme and sauté 3 more minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mushroom mixture over the top of the bread in the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and mushroom mixture and press gently to ensure the bread soaks up the liquid.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese over the casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 squares to serve.
Chef Tip: Serve this casserole with a side of green salad.
Recipe Cost: $8.29
Choices: 1 Starch, 1 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 1 Medium-Fat Protein