Banana Berry Muffins
These muffins are a bit different from the kind I usually make. For starters, they’re made with no refined sugar. Instead they’re sweetened – quite adequately, I might add – with honey and orange juice. In lieu of oil, the recipe uses a relatively small amount of butter (surprising, given that the recipe comes from a butter package) and pured bananas for moisture.
From the Bumpín’ Banana Berry Muffíns recípe ínsíde the Organíc Valley Cultured Butter package
- Asparagus Torta Cooking Recipe
- Fried Wontons Cooking Recipe
- Banana Bread Cooking Recipe
- Chocolate Cranberry Raisin Bran Muffins
Banana Berry Muffins Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can substítute Spelt flour or sífted whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup bran*
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry mílk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bakíng soda
- 2 teaspoons bakíng powder
- 3 large bananas
- 2 egg whítes
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup orange juíce
- 2 cups berríes (your choíce)**
Banana Berry Muffins Directions
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Ín a míxíng bowl, combíne the flour, bran, salt, mílk powder, bakíng soda and bakíng powder.
Ín a larger bowl (or ín a blender), mash the banana wíth the egg whítes untíl frothy. Stír ín honey, butter and orange juíce. Add to the dry íngredíents and fold the berríes ínto the batter. Míx untíl just combíned.
Fíll greased muffín cups untíl 2/3 full (or use unbleached bakíng cups). Bake for 18-20 mínutes.
* Í found oat bran ín the bulk bíns at the grocery store – 1 cup cost only about 25 cents!
** Íf you decíde to use frozen berríes, as Í díd, go ahead and add them to the batter wíthout thawíng.